Build understanding of the Minnesota academic standards development process and explore standards and benchmarks of specific content areas.
1. Print or make available digital copies of the Introduction to Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards handout so that all participants can review it.
2. Print or make available digital copies of each of the content areas participants can select to review.
1. Divide the participants into content-specific groups.
2. Distribute copies or link to the Introduction to Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards handout; and provide copies or links to the group’s identified content area standards.
3. Give individuals an appropriate amount of time to read and reflect on the prompts on the Introduction to Minnesota K-12 Academic Standards handout and content area standards.
4. Have each group discuss the following questions:
· What is the purpose of Minnesota’s Academic Standards?
· What are the purposes of grade-level benchmarks (or in some cases, grade-banded benchmarks)?
· What are the historical contexts for your content area?
· How are your content standards organized?
· What information regarding your content area standards might be helpful for others to know?